Senior Compliance Consultant
View Full Resume:
- ‣ Captain, U.S. Coast Guard (retired), with 22 years of experience as a Coast Guard attorney advising Coast Guard commanders and ensuring compliance with applicable laws and regulations. Served as legal advisor to Captain of the Port, Officer in Charge of Marine Inspection, and Federal On Scene Coordinators in Honolulu, Hawaii and Apra, Guam.
‣ Coordinated all aspects of the investigation of alleged oily water separator (OWS) bypass aboard SS Maj. Stephen W. Pless; initiated criminal referral of Chief Engineer; extensively involved with U.S. Attorney’s office in case preparation and prosecution, through entry of guilty plea.
‣ Qualified Coast Guard marine casualty investigator; on-scene responder to scores of marine casualties, up to and including multiple fatalities; served as one-man formal investigation officer (IO) in case involving four designated parties in interest, 18 witnesses, 100+ exhibits; served as legal advisor to one-man formal IO in five-fatality collision. Completed DNV/U.S. Merchant Marine Academy/Coast Guard Advanced IO courses.
‣ Supervised five-person team conducting investigations into, and taking action to suspend or revoke merchant mariner credentials for, acts of misconduct, negligence, violations of law or regulations; oversaw completion of 1300+ cases.
‣ Hand selected to conduct and coordinate internal investigations of highest sensitivity and import, e.g. crash of Coast Guard helicopters CG 6505 and CG 6017; OWS bypass by USCGC Rush.
‣ Selected to serve as a court-martial trial judge (2006-2012) and appellate court judge on Coast Guard Court of Criminal Appeals.