Senior Engineering and Compliance Consultant
View Full Resume:
- ‣ Captain, U.S. Coast Guard (Retired) with 24 years of service. Was Chief of Naval Engineering at USCG Headquarters in Washington D.C., leading the entire Coast Guard Naval Engineering Program, Commanding Officer of Naval Engineering Support Unit Seattle, Executive Officer of the Buoy Tender Replacement Project Resident Office in Marinette, WI, Executive Officer of Naval Engineering Support Unit Miami, and an assistant professor in the Naval Architecture & Marine Engineering Department at the U.S. Coast Guard Academy.
‣ Extensive repair and maintenance management experience with a variety of vessel fleets from USCG small boats, patrol boats, buoy tenders, ships, and ice breakers, to commercial tugs, barges, (petroleum and deck), ATB units, and landing craft. Experience includes planning, implementing, budgeting, and oversight of day-to-day vessel maintenance, as well as shipyard projects, renovations, modifications, and casualty repairs.
‣ Led the entire USCG Naval Engineering program, with responsibility for the engineering and logistics support to the USCG fleet of over 230 ships, 1,500+ boats, and 5,500-member workforce, controlling an annual budget of $177M.
‣ Steve has a wealth of experience in building maintenance organizations and teams, developing standardized policies and procedures for both the routine repair and maintenance tasks as well as planning, budgeting, and execution of shipyard projects.
‣ Broad and deep experience with new and existing vessel acquisition from the government, customer, and builder sides of the contracts. On the customer side, led the oversight of the design, construction, inspection, acceptance of 26 tugs and 21 barges into an existing fleet, including 8 tugs and 5 barges from 5 different shipyards in the span of one year. Developed processes, procedures, and checklists to ensure successful completion and integration of new vessels into the fleet.
‣ Had leadership role with oversight on 4 separate USCG contracts for commercial construction & acquisition of sixteen 225’ seagoing ships, fourteen 175’ coastal ships & one 240’ icebreaker; including quality assurance, comprehensive crew training, logistics, manuals & warranty support for delivered ships with a combined contract value of over $780M.
‣ Leading and implementing change has been a hallmark of Steve's career. He played key leadership roles at two companies in developing and implementing new safety management systems for both companies, meeting CFR SubChapter M TSMS and major oil company TMSA requirements.
‣ Executive Development Program Certificate, University of Washington Foster School of Business, MSE in Mechanical Engineering and MSE in Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering from University of Michigan, BSE in Civil Engineering, U.S. Coast Guard Academy. Licensed Professional Engineer in the State of Washington.